Christmas Awards 2011

Sunday 17 February 2008

Featured Author



MC Halliday is a bright star on the horizon, a multi-talented author who writes different genres spectacularly well!


MC Halliday's gripping mystery with Dark Eden Press




Here is some blurb for MC Halliday's new book with Samhain Publishing

Magaith is resigned to fulfilling her father’s command that she marry the King of Connacht. It is her duty as daughter of the King of Munster, even though she harbors a secret love for her knight protector, Sygtryg.



Sygtryg’s honor will not allow him to betray his king, not even for the love of Magaith. His painful duty is to see her safely to the kingdom of Connacht, then neither see nor speak any more of her, forever. But as a web of black spells closes in around Magaith, she and Sygtryg join together to thwart the dark forces that would claim her life and gain dominion over all of Eire.



Ahead of her lies a destiny she could never have imagined, a journey in which she must follow ancient Druid pathways, encounter a sleeping dragon, and learn the ritual spells and potions that are hers by right of blood.



As the journey grows ever more fraught with mortal pride, desire, jealousy, revenge and even her own terrible blunders, Magaith must risk everything, even Sygtryg’s love, to fulfill her destiny and save Eire.



For if the evil wizard who covets her cannot have her, he will see her dead.




Excerpt from The King's Daughter...


The tent flap tossed to one side and Sygtryg entered, sword
drawn. "My lady!"

"Forgive me." She shook her head to feign waking further. "I am yet
in sleep."

"There is much danger on this journey." His voice was harsh. "Do not
fail to speak when I call you."

"You be fearful for me, I ask for pardon."

The sword dropped to his side. "I over guessed your condition." He
ran a broad hand through his thick hair. "And be wrought with worry."


"My knight, I shall be safe with you as my protector."

His hand fell slowly to his side. "I ask it be so."

"I had a vision dream." A need to speak her truth before it be too
late, made the words pour forth. "And in that dream, you changed the
stars to have me for your own."

The knight stared at her, stock-still with sword in hand and hair
tousled in dark richness around his head.

She clasped her hands over her heart.

With all her being, she sought he would speak of his affection for
her.

That he choose her over his king and clan. Take her away and keep her
forever with him. That he offer his life to her. And seek to hold her
above all else.

When he spoke, his voice was rough. "Speak no more of this."

She gave a single nod to him as he stepped from the tent.

The knight protector would not choose her over his king. She would
betray her king, her own father, to have Sygtryg as her beloved. But
he would not do it. Even for her, he could not betray his king. He
did not return the great affection she possessed for him. Her heart
closed into a small tight lump.

She completed her dressing, fingers fumbling at her veil clasp as she
vowed, "I shall be wife to a king and content with it." Then she
lifted her chin and made her way from the tent, resolving to keep her
vow.

For the remainder of the day, the procession went slowly and it was
twilight before they stopped to set up a camp. A hilltop was
selected, that knights could watch the countryside as the royal party
slept. Once the order was made, servants hurried about the set up of
tents while others lifted heavy tables and benches from the caravan
to forge a supping place. Kitchen serfs made fires to roast meats and
carried barrels of mead and beer from the caravan to make ready for
the evening meal. Magaith retired to her tent and called for mead to
be brought to her; she would not sup at a table near Sygtryg.

The darkening of night did not bring sleep, her knight protector
stood outside her tent and the tight lump in her chest grew into
simmering bitterness. She would do what was asked of her and marry
the warrior king. But she would not open her heart to him. And she
could not forgive Sygtryg for turning away from her.



BUY LINK:

http://samhainpublishing.com/romance/the-kings-daughter




Interview With MC Halliday




Tell us about yourself.

Originally from the UK, I now live in colonial country. My cottage is snugly nestled in a mountain valley at the edge of a forest near a village. It’s peaceful here, with bird songs when it isn’t raining and croaking frogs when it is! The seclusion suits me well as I am rather a hermit. My gardens are a way for me to get outdoors and enjoy nature. They have been ongoing project for many years and, using both wild and cultivated flowering plants, bushes and trees, I have created a lush paradise. Also, I’m a fair carpenter and an artist in a variety of mediums. I dabble in photography and use some of my photos in creating my book videos. Dogs and cats are very dear to me, and so I have as many pets as possible. They are quite used to my long days at the keyboard but every once in a while, one will suddenly jump in my lap, as if to say, “Stop that. You need to give me some attention now.” And I do, then it’s back to the keyboard.





What makes you laugh?

Dry humour with the absurd and the ridiculous are terrifically enjoyable. I continue to adore Black Adder, Red Dwarf, Absolutely Fabulous, Fawlty Towers (I named my cat Sybil and my dog Basil, now I need a Manuel and Polly), Monty Python skits especially ‘Dead Parrot’ and ‘Paying for an Argument’, The Vicar of Dibbly, Murder Most Horrid and anything, everything with French and/or Saunders.





What do you write?

Tales of women ranging in time from medieval to Victorian and on to contemporary. I especially like to portray an era with apt language and description evoking the senses, vivid believable characters and further, add surprising revelations and unexpected plot twists.



My newest book is the medieval fantasy romance released February 5th at Samhain, THE KING’S DAUGHTER.



The first book in my trilogy A Victorian Courtesan’s Memoirs, I CAME UP STAIRS has been available for a few months and is listed on Fictionwise. At present, I am writing the second book, I CAME ACROSS THE SEA, and hope to have it ready for July publication.



A BRIBE AGAINST THE INNOCENT was # 5 Best Mystery Novel at the 2007 P&E Readers Polls: Remarkably, the methods of a recent murder match a bizarre murder twenty years ago. The latest victim proves to be an enigma and Inspector Cambridge has only an old photograph to advance her investigation. As the enquiry progresses, hideous secrets are revealed that led to suicide and murder.



The next volume in my noir mystery series featuring Detective Inspector Octavia Cambridge, will be released on March 1st at Dark Eden Press. A LION FROM THE FOREST has Octavia revealing more about herself and her past while working another murder enquiry. We meet the newly appointed Chief of Pathology and a Forensic Profiler…another knife sharp shocking who-dun-it delving into the hidden side of the officers on the case and the persons of interest.





What are you going to write next?

Here are projects planned for later this year:



The third Detective Inspector Octavia Cambridge Mystery, A MAIDEN BETWIXT THE DEAD.



And the last book in the Victorian Courtesan’s Memoirs trilogy, I CAME TO RECKONING.



And I should like to write another medieval fantasy and a sci-fi romance but they will likely be completed next year.





Why do you write?

I came to place in my life where it was write or die. Literally. I had always wanted to write but denied my deepest desire to make my way in the world. I came to realise it doesn’t matter if I am a pauper, what does matter is that I am fulfilled, passionate and living my dream. Writing is a way for me to release my past, connect with my heart and soul, and experience love. I always fall for my current hero and because I know him inside and out, could throttle my heroine when she doesn’t see his heart or doesn’t want his love. But that is life for many of us, isn’t it.





What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success?

After many years in business, I have been blessed to be able to embrace my dreams, extend a helping hand to others and accept my passions. I do believe for me that success is enjoying each day and finding happiness in the smallest of things, appreciating the kindness of friends and family, and remaining grateful for the abundance in my life.





MC Halliday
Deep, sometimes dark, always delicious tales of women through the ages
http://members.shaw.ca/mchalliday/

1 comment:

Savannah Chase said...

what a wonderful choice to feature MC, she is one amazing author, congrats MC