Christmas Awards 2011

Sunday 3 June 2007

An Interview with Melinda Hammond


Melinda Hammone wrote The Belles Dames Club, which was well reviewed on here. It has a sesne of fun as well as being slightly wicked! Anne


Tell us a little about yourself
Melinda Hammond – I live in the Pennines (close to Bronte country, which I always hope will help my work). The family are grown up now so I have more time for writing, which is my obsession.



What do you write?
Georgian and Regency romantic adventures – some are more adventurous than others, most have a touch of comedy, but they all have a good dash of romance in them.



Why do you write?


Because I can't help it! I have so many stories inside me and just want to get them down on paper. I love the Georgian and Regency periods and often find a daydream turns itself into my next project.



What are you writing now?
In the 18th and 19th century Italian painters came to England to decorate the great country houses: my latest story features an artist's daughter and a rakish young lord…..
What kind of clothes do you like to wear?



Warm, comfortable clothes when writing. Trousers mostly. I do have the odd party dress for social occasions! Black is my favourite colour – it is usually my choice if I am in a good mood, but I am trying to break out into lighter colours.



Are you in love? Have you ever been?
Very much so, with the man I married thirty-four years ago (I was of course a child bride!).



Do you have a dream lover – and what does he look like?
He changes, depending on my current book! Generally he is good-looking, but in a dangerous sort of way, if that makes sense.



What kind of comfort food do you like best?
A good peppered steak. Chocolates come a poor second.



What makes you laugh? Cry?
Witty comedy and sometimes real –life situations.
The news very often makes me sad, so much suffering





What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?
I suppose reading and visiting historic buildings should be classed as working! I love music, especially musical theatre, and good drama. Also, walking on the moors around my house – very therapeutic.



What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please!
Intelligence and wit, tempered with kindness. Power is a turn-on, but not for long!





What do you hate about life?
Very little, but perhaps I have been fortunate. Man's inhumanity to Man. That sound trite, but I think it is the cause of many of life's problems.



What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success?
To carry on being as happy as I am now, and to write many more books! In some ways I have achieved my goal by getting published, but my dream now is to get the next book published, and the next…..





When will I know if I have been a success? I don't think one can put a marker on it – I feel privileged to have so much at this present time.



What are you going to write next?
I have a story bubbling about smugglers and vengeful widows in Sussex…….
Melinda's books can be found at

No comments: