Christmas Awards 2011

Thursday 16 June 2011

An Interview with Sherri Dub




Today we have a new author for you. I reviewed her lovely book recently. Take a look at her website. I predict this author is going to become a favourite with ebook lovers.


Questions for Red Roses For Authors/Reviews /Interview

Tell us a little about yourself
1. I was born and raised in California, but moved to Alaska in 1990 with my 3 month old infant and lived there nearly twenty years. While there, I did an array of jobs: Bartender, commercial fisherman, dental assistant, and tour guide. I found and married my prince charming in 1995 and we are still happily married today. I earned my AA and BA degree in Anthropology from UAA and spent 4 years in college collections and 6 weeks in the field along the Kenai Peninsula. In 2008, after my son graduated high school and went into the USAF, my husband and I moved to Nevada and I began to write full-time.

What do you write?
1. I write anything to do with the Paranormal and all things romance. My debut novel: Goddess Cottage was released on April 21st of this year on all Ebook formats. It has been doing quite well, and I’m very happy that I braved the waters of self-publishing to get it out there.
2. I am venturing into YA Steampunk Romance trilogy this Fall and I am very excited about that.
Why do you write?

1. I write because the stories inside of me are my way of dealing with things I wish I could make happen in real life. If I see a young woman, devastated by a broken marriage, I’ll think up an idea about what could’ve happened to her if she moved into a haunted house and began a new life with a ghost as a companion.
2. Things like that always fascinate me, when it comes to human nature. I want to take care of everyone, write all the happy endings, but make them believable.
3. Also, I truly feel that there is more to life when we die, and that creates my desire to write about the paranormal and the supernatural.

What are you writing now?
1. I am finishing the edits and the cover proofs for my second Paranormal Romance: The Witch Ball. It is about a young woman who buys and sells antiques. She buys a child’s trunk from the Victorian era, and inside, she finds a witch ball. The item is a historical piece, which in the past was hung next to the fireplace and it was believed that if a witch came down the chimney, she would see her reflection and be trapped inside. In the story, the woman traces the ball’s history and breaks a chain of entrapment caused by a family of greedy men, by solving the mystery of the woman trapped inside. And, since it is a romance, first and foremost, the woman falls in love with the man that helps her throughout the story. It’s a fun story for me, because I used a setting that I grew up in around the El Dorado County in California.

What kind of clothes do you like to wear?
1. I love all things Victorian era, and Steampunk. The white gloves, the bustles and corsets and of course the shoes. I think if I had to choose a woman’s style that I can relate to; it would be Bette Davis in (Now Voyager) the movie. Fantastic hats, linen suits and pumps.
2. Today, I wear a lot of pumps and dresses and slacks with crisp line blouses. I am not a jeans type of gal and I absolutely will not follow trends that are too young for my age.

Are you in love? Have you ever been?
1. I am so in love with my Husband. But, seriously, it took some time. I doubt more and more, as I grow older, that I truly ever loved before this. We spent a year together, then married and fought to remain together for the past 16 years. It was tough, but worth every tear and all the memories. He isn’t just my soul-mate, but he is my companion and friend. It did take us a long time to get to this point.

Do you have a dream lover – and what does he or she look like?
1. Nope. I’m a very content and happy woman with my spouse. But, we work at it. We keep things spicy and fresh. We date a lot more now, then when we were courting. It’s crazy good. In fact, I just planned our first cruise together and we giggle about it like teens when we discuss how much fun we’re going to have. It doesn’t set sail until November.

What kind of comfort food do you like best?
1. My favourite thing to eat is nachos. I mean the very bad for you, yellow cheese and tons of hot peppers and onions over big corn chips. However, I’m curbing that, since I’m hitting the mid-forties.
2. I have a new blender and make a lot of fruit juice drinks and eat a lot of yogurt and cereals. I’m not big on red meat, but I love all seafood and chicken. Oh, and soups.
3. Also, as a side note, I may be crazy here for admitting this, but I don’t like eating out in restaurants. I like home cooked meals, and light dishes without the noise and dirty silverware. I’ll take a picnic or BBQ any- day, over a gourmet meal.

What makes you laugh? Cry?
1. I cry terribly when I witness TV commercials about starving children and homeless people. I grew up middle-class, so I’ve never really had that in my life, but it makes an impact on me in so many ways.
2. My husband and I have sponsored three children from Child Network groups in Africa, and we put one young girl all the way through college to become a teacher. I believe it is everyone’s job to educate, feed and care for all humans.
3. But, what makes me laugh is my family. I have two sister and two brothers. I am the second child, of a hilarious group of siblings ages 44-27 (all of us have the same parents) and our parents are still married. We always get together from our different corners of the world and make each other smile. We use SKYPE a lot and Facebook and the telephone. In fact, next week, one of my sister’s and I are spending a day in Disneyland, without anyone else, just to act like kids again. I love doing things like that.


What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?
1. I love to read, find new authors to chat with on Twitter and Facebook and I am a big fan of TCM movie channel. I fell in love with old classic films a long time ago and have never looked back. My favourite stars are: Humphrey Bogart, Errol Flynn, Bette Davis, Boris Karloff, Vincent Price & Robert Young. Horror films are my all-time favourite.
Also, I love to take day trips to places I can drive to and explore any museum, cave or haunted mansion available. I have spent the night in many acclaimed “haunted” houses and hotels. It’s a passion of mine.


What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please!
1. The voice gets me every single time. I was born with a hearing problem and my parents didn’t realize it until I was nearly 5. I had my adenoids removed and tubes inserted, so I think sound is a major part of my senses. I can hear a voice, without seeing the face and know it if I’ve heard it before. So, in a relationship, I am most turned on by the timber and lilt of my husband’s voice. His is very deep, and I tease him that he sounds like an announcer on TV, but it’s sexy.

What do you hate about life?
1. Watching the demise of the planet and human compassion. I believe that Utopia is simply best described as a world where everyone is cared for, and materialism isn’t a factor.
What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success?
1. I believe I’m a success at being a mother, grandmother, wife, sister, daughter and friend. Therefore, I consider myself pretty damn successful. I just strive to help out my fellow man, in any way I can. I donate a lot, here and there. I inspire when I can, and I always give off a positive vibe.
What are you going to write next?
1. I have a third Paranormal Romance I am fleshing out that is slated toward an Alaskan Native theme. It is about a fictional ritual that a tribe of reclusive natives continue today, using a single tourist as a sacrifice each year. I am pulling out all the stops, as far as my Anthropological skills go, and I am making the story as real as it can be, in a present day setting. It will be scary, but ultimately a romance.
2. After that, I am working into the Fall on the YA Trilogy with a Steampunk theme, as I’ve said before. It is my pet project, and one that I have been working on whenever I can. I really love the story, the characters and the concept I’ve been plotting.
3. Then, who knows. Hopefully, I will find an agent and Publisher to help steer my career. I joined RWA in 1997 and became a PRO member in 2008. I belong to FF&P, as well. I have a website: www.sheropatra.com and I can be found on Twitter, Facebook and Goodreads as, Sheropatra.

No comments: