Christmas Awards 2011

Wednesday 11 July 2007

Interview with Dee Dawning


Tell us a little about yourself

Born in Chicago, grew-up in Las Vegas, have lived in Phoenix the last eighteen years and haven’t melted yet. I’m a young fifty-fifteen, I’m about six foot, sandy brown hair, blue eyes, ruddy complexioned, a little overweight (like most of us) and if I’ve piqued your interest you can see my picture on www.myspace.com/deedawning

I started writing fiction about two years ago. I think of my writing as the third phase of my adult life, having been a Telephony Engineer and a home designer/builder.

What do you write?

A little of this and a little of that. Long, short, in between, thrillers, chick-lit, romance, paranormal and lascivious, erotica. Frankly, my writing has been all over the place. Eclectic, would be a good way to describe it. So far, the only common thread—and it’s a big one—is sex.


Why do you write?

Other than pleasing my readers, it’s probably an ego thing. I want to see how far I can go. I do need a good crit partner though. I have a tendency to…shall we say go over the top.

I wish I hadn’t waited so long. Now that I’ve started, I can’t and don’t want to stop. I surprised myself and keep surprising myself. Reading stories are fun, but they are not nearly as much fun as creating that story.


What are you writing now?

I’m finishing up one of those naughty little lascivious erotic teasers I mentioned called Gizmo. One of my crit-partners says it’s borderline disgusting and another says it’s an awesome piece of work. Nothing like controversy.

I’m also writing my first Paranormal, called Hollywood Witches. So far the test readers are digging it.

For the record I have another novel, Getting Naked at the Hilton, (A sexual romp, disguised as a romance) and a novelette, Forbidden, in pre-publication. Forbidden is scheduled for release this month from Dark Eden.

What kind of clothes do you like to wear?

If you’re looking for fashion hints, you’re in the wrong place. Unless there’s something special going on, I dress casual, jeans and topsiders. No shorts or flipflops. Around my house, even more casual, pajama bottoms and a tee shirt.


Are you in love? Have you ever been?

Besides my fabulous wife? Once or twice a long time ago. January 8th was my twenty-fifth anniversary and I’ve been good.

Do you have a dream lover – and what does he or she look like?

If I was a gay man or a straight woman, I might think Hugh Jackman was interesting, but since I’m not, I’d have to say a composite of all my leading ladies, who not surprisingly are all pretty much good looking. Of course my wife, with her fantastic legs, is in the mix as well. Is it any wonder my last novel was entitled LEGS?



What kind of comfort food do you like best?

I’ll get even with you for this question! Hmmm? Let’s start with home made snack mix with macadamia and corn nuts, Nathan’s or Hebrew National hot dogs, Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip ice cream, chilli-cheese dip and Tostitos…hell that’s enough.

What makes you laugh? Cry?

Laugh - Bush jokes. Cry – Bush. Seriously, men don’t cry. Right?
Wrong. Confession time. I don’t cry like Waaaa waaaa unless I stub my toe, but parts of my books will make my eyes water profusely. Even thinking of the end of Legs will bring tears to my eyes.

What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?

What? Oh, amuse. I thought you said…never mind. Serious. I’m a news junkie. And a music junkie. I use to read a lot but can’t find the time now, plus I’ve gotten in the habit of critiquing the Icons of literature.


What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please!

Legs. Can I say that again? Legs, remember the book!For me a woman doesn’t have to be gorgeous just pleasant looking and personally, I’m not into exaggerated shapes. I’m more into lean and mean.

I also like independence, intelligence, wit and vainity. I think a woman should be vain enough that she doesn’t let herself go as she gets older.

What do you hate about life?

Bills! I hate effing bills. Besides bills, there are difficult people. Religious elitists. But-in-skis. People with a me first attitude. People that drive…I better stop before I step on someone’s toes.

What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success?

I hope to be writing full time and eventually write something that makes the Times bestseller list. I think I can do it. Oh, did I mention above that I suffer from a confidence complex.

What are you going to write next?

I’ll probably try to finish some of my unfinished projects, to wit, a screenplay of my second book Fortune Cookies, A sequel to that same book called The Fellowship of Eros. A sequel, entitled A Woman of Valour, to my first book The Right Hand of Allah. A book about organized crime and religion called The Televangelist and last a book about a murder in a home I used to own called the Telemarketer.

Having read Legs, I look forward to more exciting stories from this author! Anne

No comments: