Christmas Awards 2011

Wednesday 17 October 2007

Interview With Rita Karnopp

Tell us a little about yourself


I have been writing for over fifteen years. Although I’m originally from Wisconsin, my husband and I have lived in Montana for the past thirty-two years. I’m drawn to the history of the Native American and I strive to bring alive the authenticity of a time past. When writing suspense or contemporary romance I enjoy bringing excitement and the enduring power of love to my stories. Watch for my upcoming releases: Sacred Ground in November 2007 and Wind Song, Dark Spirit, and Ransom Love, coming in 2008 from Eternal Press and also Whispering Sun with Uncial Press in 2008. When I’m not reading, writing or doing research, I enjoy making dream catchers, gold panning, crystal digging, rafting, fishing, canoeing, and spending time with my family. Please visit my website at www.ritaritr.com or my ‘myspace’ at www.myspace.com/ritakarnopp, www.eternapress.com and www.uncialpress.com.


What do you write? I love to write suspense, Indian historical romance. I also have a Native American ‘life goes full-circle’ type futuristic and a serial killer novel. Yikes… I haven’t settled down yet…and I would suspect I never will. I’m actually working on a ‘gypsy heroine during the holocaust.’


Why do you write? I write because I can’t stop the stories filling my head and demanding to be written!! It’s my passion! It’s my joy. It’s my dream.


What are you writing now? I’m actually working on rewrites and promoting! I have SACRED GROUND releasing in November 2007, and next year I have three books releasing with Eternal Press and one releasing with Uncial Press.


What kind of clothes do you like to wear? I love jeans and anything reflecting a Native American feel…feathers…beads…turquoise…I’m just a down to earth Montana girl. But I have to admit…I write in my silk Green Bay Packers lounging PJs with a matching tank top in the summer and flannel PJ sets in the winter with warm fuzzy socks! I never wear shoes unless I have to! But I do dress professional for my ‘daytime job’.


Are you in love? Have you ever been? I’m more in love now…than 34 years ago when I married my husband. He’s my best friend, my partner and my lover. He’s the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Do you have a dream lover – and what does he look like? I must admit my bald, soft kissing husband is my ‘dream lover’. If I were to pick someone other than hubby, I’d say Lou Diamond Phillips is a hunk as was Daniel Day-Lewis in THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS. My friends tease me they can’t believe I hadn’t married a Native American man!


What kind of comfort food do you like best? I’m a woman… chocolate covered cherries and a dry glass of Australian or South African chardonnay! My secret obsessions are Bottle Caps…but only the red ones! For a romantic night I like strawberries in champagne. If I’m going to be bad...or need something to crunch on while writing I like Doritos and a Pepsie, but I don’t do that often because of the calories and it’s not too good for me!


What makes you laugh? Cry? My children make me laugh as does my husband’s dry sense of humour. I love laughter. And I believe we should laugh no less than 30 times a day! I’m an extrovert and a woman with a positive attitude. I’d rather laugh than cry. Oh…cry? Well a ‘Kodak moment,’ a rose for no reason, a daughter or son getting married, writing an emotional scene in a book… need I say more?


What do you do to amuse yourself when not working? I work as an executive secretary, so when I’m not working I write! To unwind I love watching movies. I love to make dream catchers. I love to go crystal digging. I love floating the Missouri River on our raft…with hubby. I enjoy canoeing, fishing, camping. I love sitting around the camp fire with family…sharing stories and jokes.

What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please!

I think it’s sexy when my husband surprises me with a deep kiss that makes me yearn for more. I find cooking with hubby a turn on. Watching a sexy, tender movie with lights down, candles lit and a glass of wine extremely a turn on!


What do you hate about life? I hate prejudices of any kind.

What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success? My goal in life was to see my name on the cover of a book! I am a success already… the rest will be more than I’ve ever hoped for. I feel extremely blessed in life.


What are you going to write next? I have a drive that keeps pushing me to write TANGO OF DEATH (TANGO FUN TOYT) – a gypsy story during the holocaust.

2 comments:

Catherine Chernow said...

Wonderful interview, Rita. I learned so much about you!

Donna Krause said...

Wonderful interview, Rita. I enjoyed reading it and am so proud to know you. Congratulations, dear friend!