Christmas Awards 2011

Tuesday 29 May 2007

Interview with Hazel Statham


Hazel Statham has a new book coming out soon with Triskelion.


Tell us a little about yourself
I am now officially ‘retired’ although I have not worked for thirteen years due to ill health. I have a beautiful grandson named Daniel and we are great pals. Apart from writing, my other ruling passion is animals and until recently I was the treasurer of a local group who raised money for animal charities. Over the years, we have owned everything from hamsters to horses and at the moment we have a lovely yellow Labrador named Lucy.

What do you write?
I write Georgian and Regency romance but have also been known to stray into the Medieval era.

Why do you write?
It’s a compulsion and I have written on and off since I was sixteen. Originally, I wrote solely for my own amusement, but when I joined a writers’ group at the local college, the lecturer who headed the group persuaded me to try for publication. My first two books were published in 2005 but due to my editor’s demise the company was closed. I then sought publication in 2006 and was delighted when I had four books accepted.

What are you writing now?
I have just started a new Regency and its temporary title is ‘Sarah’, which no doubt will change as the book evolves.

What kind of clothes do you like to wear?
Usually trousers with either a shirt or blouse.

Are you in love? Have you ever been?
I have been married to my husband for thirty-eight years, so I guess we must have something going for us

Do you have a dream lover – and what does he look like?
I think you have to be a little bit in love with all the heroes you create and you create what attracts you the most. Mine are usually tall, dark and athletic.

What kind of comfort food do you like best?
I suppose it has to be chocolate – but not any old chocolate. Thornton’s Fruit Creams are the top of my list. There are several other substitutes, but nothing can really compare.

What makes you laugh? Cry?
Animals and children in equal measure. I am a very sentimental person and am easily moved to tears. I like witty dialogue rather than slap-stick comedy.

What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?
Read. It’s a standing joke amongst the family that you can leave me anywhere as long as I have a book to read. I like a good drama or film but much prefer it to be a period piece. My mobility is somewhat restricted now but I used to love riding, dancing and walking.

What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please!
Eyes and the shape of the mouth, plus a good sense of humour. I like athletic, tall, dark men. A man with a lively mind who is capable of almost anything,
What do you hate about life?
Cruelty or injustice in any shape or form, be it to people or animals.

What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success?
When I see one of my books for sale in Webberley’s (our local independent book shop) I will know I have arrived as an author. On a more personal level, if I can contribute to my family’s happiness, I will be content.

What are you going to write next?
I have a prequel to ‘Dominic’ that I wrote twenty-five years ago that I would like to work on. After that, I will continue to write in the periods I know and love.
www.triskelionpublishing.com

No comments: