Christmas Awards 2011

Thursday 31 May 2007

Interview For Cheryl St John



Interview For Cheryl St John. Cheryl is an author for HMB and a very good one! I enjoy her books, Anne


Tell us a little about yourself
I’m a native Nebraskan who has written stories since I was a little girl. I received my first rejection from Redbook Magazine at the age of fourteen. I didn’t do much writing while I was raising a family, until my youngest went to school all day. Then I dusted off the old Selectric typewriter and wrote a full-length book beginning to end. It never did get published—and didn’t deserve to be published—but it was a learning experience. I learned I could follow through.

What do you write?
I love to write Americana and Western historical romances with believable characters and emotional depth. I also write contemporaries and have been published in several lines over the years. One of my favorite premises is someone pretending to be someone they’re not. I also love a juicy secret and I adore creating underdog characters for readers to root for.

Why do you write?
I began writing for my own pleasure, and continued to prove something to myself. I write now because it’s the best job I could ever have. I’m not a nine-to-five person or a clock watcher. Hours speed past when I’m lost in a story. It’s a creative outlet and a challenge.

What are you writing now?
I’m contracted for a Western Christmas anthology for ‘08, but before hunkering down to that deadline I’ve been working up a few proposals for new stories. One is a series I’m excited to write.

What kind of clothes do you like to wear?
I love comfort. During the week I’m pretty much a jeans or capris gal, but when going out or going to church I like to dress up. I love shoes and purses and jewelry. Teal is my favourite color for clothing with pink a close second.

Are you in love? Have you ever been?
I’ve been in love with the same man for more years than some of your readers have been alive. We’re often asked the secret to a long and successful marriage. There’s no secret. Marriage is hard work. Anything worth having takes effort and commitment. Staying in love is a choice, and when both people make that choice, you have a solid relationship.

Do you have a dream lover – and what does he look like?
All my heroes are dream lovers and they’re mostly tall, dark and handsome.


What kind of comfort food do you like best?
Without a second thought that would be chocolate in any way, shape or form.


What makes you laugh? Cry?
Kids make me laugh. I adore them. I can’t get enough of their precious faces or sweet voices or innocent reasoning. I even enjoy the endless questions.
Pictures of my children as babies make me cry because those moments are gone forever. I hope I enjoyed them to the fullest.


What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?
I love to decorate, redecorate, garden, and shop flea markets and antique malls. I love going to the movies, watching DVDs and reading.



What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please!
I love an ambitious man. One who knows what he wants, but won’t step on anyone to get it. I admire a man with principles and integrity. I appreciate men who aren’t afraid to show love or admit failings.



What do you hate about life?
I don’t hate anything about my life or life in general. I regret there aren’t more hours in a day, and wish I didn’t need rest because sleep is a waste of time. Life is what we make of it. We can’t change other people, but we can change how we react and how we let them affect us.



What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success?
If I make a difference in one person’s life, I will consider that a success.


What are you going to write next?
I’m going to write the ’08 Christmas anthology I’m contracted for and by then some of the stories I’m pitching now will be sold and I can write them. Nothing compares to the satisfaction of a great writing session, of using that last brain cell of the day and sitting back and knowing you accomplished something worthwhile. It’s a thrill to know that my stories bring hope and enjoyment to readers all over the world.

No comments: