Christmas Awards 2011

Sunday 27 May 2007

Interview for Mary Eason


Mary's book thirty Lessons is available from Samhain Press now. Don't Close your Eyes is coming from Cerridwen Press in August.

Tell us a little about yourself:
My Bio: I'm a Texan through and through. I was born in a small Central Texas town where I was the youngest of four kids. Being the baby of the family and quite a bit younger than my brothers and sister, gave me plenty of time to entertain myself. Making up stories seem to come natural to me. I could keep myself happy for hours with all the possibilities.
As a pre-teen, I discovered romance novels and knew instinctively that was what I wanted to do with my over-active imagination.
I wrote my first novel as a teen, (it's tucked away somewhere never to see the light of day), but never really pursued my writing seriously until later, after the kids were out of the house when I wrote my first romantic comedy and was hooked.

I still live in Texas, and I still write romance. In fact, I can't think of anything I'd rather do.
What do you write?

I grew up a huge fan of Victoria Holt and Phyllis Whitney. They formed my love for romantic suspense very early on. Although I write several different genres of romance, my one true love remains romantic suspense.

Why do you write? I know it sounds clichĂ©d, but I believe you are truly born to be a writer or your not. Whether you are the next Nora Roberts or you simply write for your own enjoyment, some things cannot be faked. The desire to writing is one of them. If you are truly a writer, you cannot do anything else. For better or worse and believe me there’s both.


What are you writing now? LONGBOAT KEY. A romantic suspense that is about a woman who discovers she doesn’t know her fiancĂ© quite as well as she thought.
What kind of clothes do you like to wear? I’m a jeans kinda gal. The more casual the clothing, the better. I think it comes for years of working in corporate America where I was forced to dress accordingly.

Are you in love? Have you ever been? Absolutely. Yes to both of those questions. I love my husband of twenty-plus years. I’ve loved him from the beginning and he is still my first love along with my best friend. He understands me better than I do myself at times and the poor buy still sticks around anyway. Go figure.

Do you have a dream lover – and what does he look like?
Subconsciously, I believe I pattern most of my heroes after my hubby. But when I chose a book to read for myself, I prefer that my hero be a little bit of a mystery with lots of baggage attached. Makes for a more interesting story in my opinion. In addition, I can form my own vision of him.

What kind of comfort food do you like best? I’ve been a huge fan of Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups since they were invented. I should probably buy stock.


What makes you laugh? My nine-month-old granddaughter. She is the cutest thing. But I laugh a lot because I’m generally a happy person. Life is good but short. Enjoy it while you can. Cry? A sad movie or book. GOOD GRIEF by Lolly Winston s a prime example. It invoked both laughter and tears for me. Now that’s a good book.


What do you do to amuse yourself when not working? Grandbaby --- need I say more? Also, my hubby and I have a little cabin in the Colorado Rocky Mountains. It’s lovely and so peaceful.
What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please!
When I was younger, I guess my answer would be his looks. Now that I’m forty-something, well, I find the things that turn me on about a man is his kindness. His gentleness. Watching my husband with our granddaughter.


What do you hate about life? The fact that people sometimes fall for the craziest of things. I wish that we as a people would stop following trends and worrying about looks so much. It’s okay to be different and getting older is a GOOD thing. Wrinkles and all.

What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success? I’d like to hope people will look back on my life and say that I cared about my fellow man. As far as knowing when I achieved it, well that will be for those around me to say.
What are you going to write next? I’m starting a new romantic suspense series entitled THE BEHOLDER SERIES. It’s about some women with the gift of physic insight and how it affects their lives.

Also, I’m working on a romantic comedy called BINDS THAT TIE about a family that suffers a tragedy and how the three daughters must come together to overcome it.

No comments: