Christmas Awards 2011

Saturday 31 October 2009

An Interview with Debbie Gould





Tell us a little about yourself: My name is Debbie Gould. By day I’m a nurse at a family practice in rural Vermont. By night, I’m a mom, a Nina (grandma) wife and writer. Got married at 18, had my first child at 18 and have been married coming up on 27 years in Dec. Now I’m only 44 so don’t get a picture in your head of a little old granny with white hair, lol. My daughter is 26 and in the Air Force, currently in Afghanistan. She has a little boy who is going to be 5 in Feb. My son is 23 and works for the family water well drilling business and my baby is 18 and currently in his first year of college. We have two dogs and I’m getting a Maine Coon cat for Christmas, YAY!

What do you write? A combination of things. Mountain’s Echo was a Romantic Suspense. Infidelity is another Romantic Suspense, but very dark in nature. November Rain is a Contemporary Romance with a paranormal twist. You’ll also find some small Military aspect in a lot of my writing.

Why do you write? Oh, gosh, I just love telling stories of love and happy endings. It’s also a great outlet; I get to pour out feelings on paper.



What are you writing now? Right now I’m working on Betrayal – a follow up to Infidelity and I’m also working on a Romance/Thriller called Sins of the Mind with another author. It’s been great fun plotting out this story and writing it with her.


What kind of clothes do you like to wear? I’m a jean, T-shirt, sweatshirt kind of gal. At home it’s a T-shirt and shorts year round, Flip flops or bare feet until it snows and I absolutely have to where shoes. If I have to get dressed up, then I want something the total opposite of what I usually wear. I want something that’s going to make me FEEL sexy, even if I’m not, lol.


Are you in love? Have you ever been? Well I’m married so I bet ya he hopes I’m in love, just kidding. Yes, I love my husband dearly. Back in my younger days I was always attracted to the “bad boy”. And I have to say I thought I was in love with one. The kind of love where you take your next breath only because you know you’ll be with him. But besides being young, that wasn’t the type of love that sustains you. It burns hot and fast and then fizzles out. There is so much more strength in my marriage than there was is that first romance.


Do you have a dream lover – and what does he or she look like? Hmmm. I love a tall guy, broad, strong shoulders and arms and a nice butt, lol. Eyes really attract me too. Hey, I’m married not dead, lol.


What kind of comfort food do you like best? A homemade turkey dinner with all the trimmings or a boiled ham dinner. Red cake, cheesecake or thick chewy brownies.


What makes you laugh? Watching my grandson and listening to the stories he comes up with. He’s quite the story-teller. Cry? Heart wrenching movies, taking my grandson home with me and away from my daughter when she deploys, then having to give him back 8 months later when she gets back. The giving him back is always bitter sweet. I’m always so relieved and happy she’s back, but she’s stationed in Florida and I live in Vermont. So when I give him back I don’t get to see him for a couple months when one of us visits the other. But he loves living in both places and knows he’s loved all over.



What do you do to amuse yourself when not working? Watch stupid reality TV. You don’t have to think about anything, just sit there, veg out and be happy you’re not the person on the TV.



What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please! Before I know someone, it’s the build and eyes. But looks can only go so far. A man has to have a great sense of humour. Be kind and caring and considerate and #1 don’t lie to me.


What do you hate about life? I don’t think that I really hate anything. That’s a pretty strong word. I get very frustrated by opinionated people who are so closed minded they wont even consider another persons point of view. I guess I do hate the racial divide that still exists. I wish people would just let other people live their lives the way the see fit. What do you care if someone is gay or living in a bi-racial relationship? I just don’t understand it.

What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success? Honestly, I just want my children to be happy and have good lives. So far we’re working on it.

What are you going to write next? After the two I mentioned above, I’ve got an outline for one that follows Infidelity and Betrayal called Deception. Then I’d like to try my hand with a paranormal.










5 comments:

Jaime Samms said...

You saound very happy in your life, Debbie. 27 years is nothing to sneeze at! And just out of curiosity, what's red cake?

Unknown said...

Aww, a happy mother/grandmother/wife. It warms my heart missy! Loved the interview. It is very interesting

Susilien said...

Great interview Debbie. Nice to see you out and about. Looking forward to your next few books. Finally read Mountain's Echo and really enjoyed it.

Lex Valentine said...

Great interview, Deb! When I manage to come visit I'll bring chocolate overdose brownies. :)

Unknown said...

Hi :)
Thanks for the great interview with Debbie Gould & thanks to Debbie for sharing. I loved the excellent excerpt too! I enjoyed learning more about Debbie & her writing.
All the best,
RKCharron
xoxo