Christmas Awards 2011

Tuesday 21 October 2008

Interview With Kristin Battestella



Kristin Battestella
Questions for Red Roses For Authors/Reviews /Interview
Tell us a little about yourself
What do you write?
A writer is supposed to specialize, isn’t she? Niche, genre? I write whatever strikes me, although what strikes me tends to be horror, dark fantasy, science fiction, and a touch of mystery. I’m a non fic gal as well; newspaper work, reviews, essays. Truly if I have something to say, I write it generally before I say it!

Why do you write?
I write to express myself. I have something to say that I hope informs, inspires, and entertains others. It’s my way of sharing who I am, along with something special and fantastical. If I don’t write I feel strange. It’s like a phantom limb. Writing is always with me. When I drive, I think of good things, the shower. Writing and inspiration are everywhere.

What are you writing now?
I’m dabbling with another dark fantasy. I don’t want to say too much. It’s a bit experimental and out there for me. I’ve always been going back and forth with a horror short called The Haberdasher. I’ve collaborating with my fellow NJ author Leigh Wood, and I’m doing some more naughty material under a pen name.

What kind of clothes do you like to wear?
I don’t think I’m goth, but other people seem to think I am. I’m not a vampire but I wear a lot of black. I haven’t been well the past few months, so its comfortable black gear, as opposed to my usual button down shirts and dress pants and high boots. Jeans and jerseys are my weekend wear, and I adore days when I don’t have to get out of my pajamas.

Are you in love? Have you ever been?
Yes and Yes! I just got married actually. You must love someone to up and move your whole life somewhere else for someone. Meeting my husband has also affected my writing. I write with more emotion and romance and relationships and sex scenes than I did before. No wonder.
Do you have a dream lover – and what does he or she look like?
My husband would say it’s Sean Bean. He’d probably be right. ;0)

What kind of comfort food do you like best?
I don’t know that I have one particular comfort food. Sometimes I want to eat at 3 am and by golly I eat whatever’s available! I’ve been into pistachio recently. Pistachio pudding, ice cream. I love Spumoni.

What makes you laugh? Cry?
I tend to be a bit heartless and laugh at some of the stupid things my family does. I’ve been watching The Office recently. I think I prefer intelligent comedy over slapstick or teen romps. If I’m on an emotional kick, I’ll cry over the silliest thing. I think it takes a lot for me to flat out ball my eyes out, but my lips tremble over the sight of anything inspiration or pretty. I was quivering in the store picking out a birthday card for my dad.

What do you do to amuse yourself when not working?
It’s still working a bit, good practice, but I love doing movie reviews and making screen captures. I enjoy analysis shows, often to the point that family won’t want to watch a show with me. I like to yell back at the TV some of the onscreen absurdities. Often I end up with the record player on, and I sing in the kitchen while I cook. No, I can’t sing!


What is it in a man or woman that turns you on? The clean version please!
Hmm…I like a man who is intelligent and confident in himself, able to protect manly man! Yet there must be comfort and compassion. Adorableness helps, of course. Can’t be more specific and be clean. I do think attraction is relative.

What do you hate about life?
I don’t like that good guys seem to get the shaft. We seem to be on a downslide where nobody is winning. I like it when things are good, opportunities can be made for the better.
What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success?
I’d like to see I won’t think of achievement and success until I’m on my deathbed appreciating things, but yes, I practice my Oscar speech in the mirror, who doesn’t? I’d like to be financially success enough to live freely of course, but I would like to think I can achieve that without stepping on the little guy, changing who I am, or losing my writing worth in the process. I want to be successfully honestly, can it be?
What are you going to write next?
I will finish The Haberdasher! I often plan which stories I will work on or go back to, like my space opera The Centaurians. The Vampire Family also calls for a sequel. You have to go where the writing takes you. Three years ago I never thought I’d be writing naughty scary bits and collaborating with an erotica author. It can happen!

1 comment:

Tabitha Shay said...

Great interview, Kristin and oh, Congrats on the new marriage....Tabs